Called in Love, Sent to Serve
The Presence Program is a spiritual formation training program intended to help participants grow in their spiritual lives and to prepare them for the ministry of spiritual direction. It is a two-year, part-time ecumenical program in the Christian tradition. We are excited to offer this program here at Providence Renewal Centre. It is one way in which we can respond to the growing hunger in the world for a deeper spirituality. We are accepting applications now for the September 2019 Presence program. PURPOSE: To prepare people for the ministry of spiritual direction
- Nurture a prayerful and supportive learning community
- Draw on spiritual resources and practices of the Christian faith tradition
- Foster contemplative listening and discernment skills for spiritual direction ministry
- Offer monthly learning modules related to faith, spirituality, and spiritual direction
- Facilitate opportunities for participants to discern a call to spiritual direction ministry
- Recognize and call forth gifts for spiritual direction ministry
- Organize supervised practicum experiences for providing spiritual direction
- Thematic Learning Modules – Participants will have the opportunity to deepen their knowledge of topics related to faith, spirituality, and spiritual direction with a team of professionals skilled in their areas of expertise.
- Theological Reflection – Theological reflection builds on faith and spirituality, helping participants find meaning in their lived experiences. Participants will use a variety of tools (e.g. journaling, art making, written reports, story/narrative development) to reflect theologically on self, others, the Divine.
- Spiritual Practices — Participants will be introduced to spiritual practices related to the monthly learning modules. They will be invited to nurture their spiritual lives with practices such as daily prayer, spiritual reading, examination of conscience, regular spiritual direction, and ongoing discernment of God’s call in their lives.
- Supervised Practicum – The second year of the program includes a practicum, during which participants will offer spiritual direction within the context of a supervised practicum experience. Practicum work will involve careful preparation, oversight, and evaluation.
- Integrated Retreat Experiences – Participants will gather twice each year for four-day periods of structured retreats. These include allow ample time for silence, personal reflection, prayerful discernment, and spiritual direction.
- Monthly Live-In experiences – Participants stay overnight for all modules and retreats. This fosters a sense of community, with shared meals, times for socializing, shared prayer and ritual, as well as opportunities for silence, solitude, and personal prayer.
- Adults (preferably age 35 and older) with demonstrated self-awareness and an established commitment to prayer, spiritual growth, and service Experience in receiving spiritual direction
- Affirmation by others as having gifts and skills for spiritual direction ministry
- A sense of being called to the ministry of spiritual direction
- Some post-secondary education; bachelor’s degree preferred
- Knowledge of the basic principles, teachings, history, sacred texts, and practices of one’s denomination and/or faith tradition
- Open to adult learning methods and personal growth
- Retreat experience (e.g., silent retreats of 5, 8, 30 days, and/or participation in the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola)
- Time and willingness to complete the program
- Commitment to participate fully in the monthly learning modules and inter-module assignments (e.g., readings, reflection papers)
- Three letters of recommendation (including a letter from a person in one’s faith community)
Below are several forms related to the application process for the Presence Program. Please click to read and/or download them.
- A Presence Program Overview with admission requirements, program details, dates and fees
- A Presence Application Form 2019-2021 to be completed and returned to us before march 15, 2019.
- The Presence Program Brochure detailing highlights of the program. Please give one to each person who will write a letter of recommendation for you.
- A Presence Letter of Reference 2019-2021 form to provide to three people who are willing to write a letter of recommendation for you.
The deadline for applications is March 15, 2019 IMPORTANT DATES Program Orientation Day and Module One: September 6 & 7, 2019
|YEAR ONE DATES|
|Two Retreats 2020:
Year One: Tuition, accommodation, meals, facilitation $3,500.00
|YEAR TWO DATES:|
|Two Retreats 2021:
Year Two: Tuition, accommodations, meals, facilitation, supervised practicum $4,200.00
IMPORTANT DATES Closing date for applications: March 15, 2019 Program Orientation Day and Module One: September 6 & 7, 2019
- Program takes place 10 months each year;
- with 8 two-day modules and 2 four-day retreats.
- Monthly modules take place Fridays (1:00 pm to 9:00 pm) and Saturdays (9:00 am to 4:00 pm)
- Retreats take place Sunday night (7:00 pm) to Thursday afternoon (4:00 pm)
Download Brochure For more information about the Presence Program, please contact:
Please send the application along with the letters of recommendation and the $100.00 non-refundable processing fee payable to Providence Renewal Centre to: Presence Program Providence Renewal Centre 3005 119 St NW Edmonton AB T6J 5R5 Transfer Credit available from St. Stephen’s College, Edmonton